I want to thank everyone who has commented on my blog and our infertility woes. Your words have been so supportive and have really made me think about what our next steps should be. I decided that you were all right in that a second opinion can't hurt. Knowledge is power. I've made an appointment with the second RE for 2 days after we get back in town from our vacation, on March 11th. It was the first consult appointment they had. The next appointment would have been in April!
My husband wasn't necessarily too keen on the idea of getting a second opinion. I think he is afraid that sending my records to RE #2 will make RE #1 not so happy and could mess with what could be IVF #3. I assured him that this type of thing is probably pretty common and they won't think twice about it. We've been seemingly treated like a number with them, so word that tranferring records probably won't even get back to the doctor, and if it does, it probably won't register with her who we even are. I also assured him that if we don't like what RE #2 has to say or if he agrees with RE #1, then we can stick with our original clinic if we want. No harm, no foul.
I don't want to hate on my original RE. She is a really nice lady when we get to talk to her. The clinic is #1 in the state, if not the region. I haven't had the opportunity to talk to many others that go there. Infertility is a pretty hush, hush topic even in the waiting room of an infertility clinic. The one couple that we know of that sees the same RE is still not pregnant after 2 years, but they've done one fresh cycle and two FETs. All made it to transfer. Their situation is completely different from ours. The clinic's pregnancy rates and stats are pretty good too. But one can only rely on those statistics so much because who knows what they are really counting. They're probably not counting people like me who don't make it to transfer - twice.
As for the new RE, Dr. H, I've heard good things. My cousin just had a baby after seeking treatment with him. I'm not sure of the details or her situation though. Again, not something that is broadcast. And the woman I talked to on the phone to make the appointment seemed really nice. First impressions are important, right? And her name was Melissa, also. Maybe it's a good sign?!
I a happy you decided to do this! We switch REs and it was the best decision for us!
ReplyDeleteWe also switched REs because we weren't happy with the first - best decision we could have made! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood plan! Glad you are seeking this. It's best to know all of your options. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteIf even the receptionist was nice, I think you are on the right track. :) Seriously, every time I talk w/ our clinic I am amazed how kind and encouraging everyone is - from the receptionist, to the billing dept, to the lab, AND the doctors. I now believe that is crucial to a successful fertility practice. I hope this second opinion will be a big help.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, knowledge IS power and they are so used to people going for 2nd opinions! The truth is 90% of MD's encourage you to seek them out and the other 10%, you don't want to be with!! Hope you get some clarity on 3/11 :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you're going to seek out a second opinion, as you said it definitely can't hurt. And ethically speaking your doctor can't treat you any differently for seeking out a different opinion. Also like you said I'm sure they won't even notice. I know several bloggers who have seen more than one RE and none of them have mentioned it was a bad decision for them. Hoping it brings you more answers and helps you to see how you'd like to move forward.
ReplyDeleteIn terms of the statistics as you know statistics can definitely be manipulated. I'm sure just the fact that they will only do day 5 transfers boosts their stats, but cases like yours with cancelled cycles don't get counted and thus don't bring their stats.
Hope you guys have an amazing, relaxing trip and then a fantastic consult with RE #2!