Thursday, January 27, 2011

Our Reality

Reality sucks.  Specifically, Our reality sucks. 

We had called the clinic prior to leaving the house and left a message.  We wanted to prevent the drive if we had to, halfway hoping we would still get to go.  Almost 2 hours later and 10 miles away from the clinic, our doctor called the cell phone.  That can't be good.  It was the first time I've actually spoken to her since our July IVF failure,and it was basically the same conversation.  No transfer today.  It is the same deal as last time. Our two embryos 'arrested' on Day 3 and hadn't grown since. 

I asked, 'Why?'

The doctor still has to go to lab, do some research, and talk to the embryologist to find out more information for us.  She'll call us later.  But, she was sorry.  It was maybe a 60 second conversation.

We took the next exit and turned around for home.  We stopped at the next exit so I could go to the restroom (yes, I had a full bladder).  I also got a coffee - why not?  We didn't listen to the radio for maybe 30 miles.  We don't know what to do or to say.  What's next?  Why is preganancy so hard to accomplish?  We considered getting a 3rd dog and becoming a 'dog family'.  We considered going to the hospital nursery to kidnap a baby - (hey, it worked for the lady in the news for 23 years!).  We're considering a second opinion and a different clinic.  We just don't know.  This is our reality.

24 comments:

  1. Oh, honey. I am so, so sorry. It's definitely time for a 2nd opinion, when you are ready. I wish I could come give you a great big hug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh-this pain, sadness, and lost feeling you have now, I know well. I am solo sorry to hear this news and my heart breaks for you. A 2nd opinion is always worth it! If you need to talk or anything...I'm here. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so sorry to hear this. I agree with Kakunaa - I think a 2nd opinion is in order, when you are both feeling up to it. May you find some sunshine admidst your difficult day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no...I am so sorry to hear this. I am crying for you. This is so unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear this and I think it's seriously f'ed up that the clinic couldn't call you ahead of time, especially when the same thing happened during your last IVF and you called a few days ago to check on your embryos. If they arrested on Day 3 then why wasn't someone calling you on Day 4? That's terrible customer service

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cruel to be 10 mintures from the clinic and get that awful call. I'm so sorry!! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave you an award...come look :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave you an award...come look :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the second opinion and different clinic should definitely be considered... so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Will keep you in my prayers....I believe a different clinic is in order. So sorry...reality sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry :(. Words can not express what you are feeling. Life does suck. It's a harsh, heartwrenching, heartbreaking world sometimes. I'm so sorry :(. I wish I could give you the longest hug ever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry for how yesterday went. Sending cyber hugs your way. I agree that a second opinion and a new clinic are in order...I am so pissed off for you!!!
    Take care of yourself and make that decision when you are ready, in the meantime know that you have the prayers and support of all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so very sorry (((HUGS))) I'd def be looking into a new clinic. They really do suck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry girl. What suckiness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another vote for a second opinion. It's ridiculous for them to put you through that, and so difficult to deal with that loss. I'm so sorry :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so so sorry. I can't imagine how disappointed you are. I always forget that even though it's absolutely awful getting that BFN after going through IVF, still having the embryos to transfer and at least having the CHANCE of achieving a pregnancy is there. I always forget about the women who make it to transfer day with nothing to transfer. My thoughts are with you. I'm so very sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate this! IVF is supposed to *work*, damnit!

    I'm so very sorry. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so very sorry for how this cycle has ended for you. Wishing you strength and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry to hear your news. I have had 2 canceled IVF cycles in the past and they have left me feeling so empty and hopeless. I hope you can get some answers from your RE so you know how to move forward.
    here from lfca....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cancellations are so very painful. Mine were canceled prior to retrieval. I think it would be that much harder to complete the surgery, count the embryos, watch the numbers fall and end up no closer to that Take Home Baby. I am so very sorry for this horrible news.

    LCFA

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi, here from LFCA.

    I think another clinic would serve you better. If your embryos arrested the first time at day 3, why aren't they doing a 3 day transfer? Five day transfers aren't always best. Best of luck for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Here from LFCA.

    I am so very sorry. I hope you are able to get some answers and able to move forward. You are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm very sorry, I came by your blog through Rebeccas, and just wanted to offer my sympathy and support. I have been down the IVF route twice, and although it worked for us both times, we lost our youngest baby girl at 22wks in November. Take care, and I'm praying for your success in the future!

    ReplyDelete