Without knowing it though, I've been practicing being a mom my whole life. In junior high, I babysat the kids in my neighborhood all the time (which living in the country was a 15 mile radius of my house - I definitely got around!). I enjoyed the good kids, and I dreaded the bad kids. I've changed diapers, burped babies, I've chased after 2-year olds and watched a heck a lot of Barney, Disney, and Saturday morning cartoons. But, I'm not sure if I babysat because I love kids or because I just needed the babysitting money. I do think it made me realize that I truly only wanted to be a mom when I was completely ready to take on that challenge 24/7.
So, in high school, being a mom was the last thing I wanted to be at that time. I, being an abnormally responsible teenager, went on birth control on my own before even having sex(thanks Planned Parenthood!). There was no way that I was going to get "accidentally" pregnant. I didn't go off of the pill until 10 years later!
So, ever since, the evolution of becoming a mom has been in the works:
- College - check!
- Husband - check!
- House with a yard - check!
- Good job with a steady paycheck that I don't mind going to every day - check!
- Grad school - check!
- Houseplants that are not killed instantly - check!
- One fabulously cute (at least to me), live-in, four-legged child named Morgan that has been my so-called baby for 4 years (ok, so she's a dog - but still very much my child) - check!
- One year of baby-making with timed sex, standing on my head (literally), ovulation kits, and basal temperature taking month after month - check!
- One year of testing and 6 IUIs with my OB (three too many, actually) - check!
- One year of testing and 3 IUIs with my RE in a city that is a 2-hour drive away - check!
- Finally, IVF - almost check!
Years of planning and what we have to go through seems insane, doesn't it? Hope it works for you!
ReplyDeleteFrustrating that we have to go through all that, just to have a family!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with the IVF!
It seems horribly unfair when we do everything so responsibly & ensure we're ready to be parents before jumping into it & then pow we're slammed down with IF. Reality bites when it comes to this! Keeping you in my prayers & fingers crossed this IVF will go super smooth!
ReplyDelete