The other day I got a bill and a letter in the mail from my fertility clinic. It said they were planning to send us to collections for the balance of our bill ($1,300). This wouldn't irk me so much if 1.) the IVF had worked ,2.) if I actually owed it in the first place and 3.) I didn't want to be on the clinic's "good" side for our planned IVF in January - I don't want to be known as the patient that doesn't pay her bills.
Technically, we do owe the $1,300. This was the balance of all of the ultrasounds and bloodwork prior to retrieval. I had hit the infertility max on my health insurance with the first visit, so after it was all said and done, I had to pay 100% of the costs, minus the in-network provider discounts. Why does bloodwork cost so damn much?!
But then we did the retrieval and paid a hefty $6,000 that day. That was the "retail" price of the retrieval. I asked to submit it to insurance so we could still get the in-network provider discounts even though we had hit the infertility max. The billing manager -lets call her Jo - said it wouldn't do any good and that there would be no discounting. So we paid in full. We got a receipt. Then after the whole debacle failed, I decided to call the insurance company to see if Jo was right. She wasn't, per the customer service rep. The insurance company even mentioned that it would be "fraud" to not submit the claim. I told them, I would work with the billing manager again before they sent the network after the clinic.
I talked to Jo. She still insisted that the discounting would not apply. I told her that I would like to submit the claim anyway. She wouldn't do it for me, so I said I would submit the claim to insurance on my own. After getting all the information, I faxed the claim to the insurance company myself. After it processed, the explanation of benefits showed that I would have gotten a $2,000 discount! That means the clinic owes me $2,000.
Now, I'm not a math wiz by any account. But I do know that $1,300 minus $2,000 equals a refund for me! So I haven't paid the invoices that have been coming each month. So after I got the nice, little collection letter, I called Jo. We played phone tag a couple of times - she left messages saying I had hit the infertility max. No kidding?! I already knew that. So I left a very detailed, but nice, message basically telling her that they owe ME money! That was last Monday, November 1st. I haven't heard back from her since then.
I'm debating calling Jo back or just waiting for the next invoice to show my refund!
*UPDATE*: A day after this post, I called Jo to see if she had gotten my message and what she had done with my account. She said that she had 'resubmitted' some claims (which I'm not sure what else could be claimed) and that she credited my account. Based upon this, I owe about $100 instead of $1,300. Definitely progress....but not exactly what I was looking for. So I told her I would wait for the next invoice to see the detail. As of 11/21, I'm still waiting to see this invoice!
Ugh, frustrating!!! Good for you for advocating for yourself, I would definitely call again though don't think her not calling means she's automatically going to be sending a refund. Good luck and hope you get this resolved soon!
ReplyDeleteBummer! That is a tough spot to be in! I would definitely call back again and again if necessary...and be sure to document it all. That way if they keep giving you resistance and still expect to collect, you have back up against them. What a PITA! It's almost as if she doesn't want to submit so they don't have to apply the discount. Hope you get it figured out and are ready to go in January.
ReplyDeleteThat is so frustrating! As if all of this isn't enough to deal with on its own! Hopefully this gets sorted out quickly. They owe you an apology and money!
ReplyDeleteWhat a pain in the arse! I hope you are able to get it worked out!
ReplyDeleteWe still owe something like $5000 for our IVF, not counting other bills. I still don't know how we are paying for it. Insurance is hell. I am sorry :(
ReplyDeleteHi! Stopping by for ICLW! I hate people who won't even try to help!! I hope it works out!!
ReplyDeleteSo, did anything ever come out of this mess?
ReplyDeleteUg, insurance and accounting are frustrating, especially on top of infertility! But good on ya for being persistent--only a hundred bucks instead of 1300?! Way ta go!! :)
ReplyDeletestopping by from ICLW (#100). yeah! glad you got on the IVF schedule. looks like we'll be cycling around the same time. i start BCPS for my next IVF cycle when I get AF in about a week. i understand the necessity to turn your brain away from this all for a bit. its so overwhelming. hope IVF #2 is it for you! best of luck and happy hoildays.
ReplyDelete