Saturday, January 15, 2011

Ultrasound #2

Yesterday, was ultrasound #2.  At the same time, I didn't know what to expect and also new EXACTLY what to expect.  It was the same drive, the same waiting room, same blood draw, same pee-in-the-cup, same ultrasound room, same nurse, and same machine and fun, ultrasound wand that I've been dealing with for about 4 years.  I know the drill.  However, since my last ultrasound of only 11 follicles and taking 5 days of Femera, I wasn't sure what my insides would display.

As Sheryl lubed up the wand and started taking pictures of my right ovary, she was nodding her head and smiling. A good sign and way better than the head shaking back and forth of last time.  Apparently, my right ovary had kicked it into high gear over the last 9 days and grew 9 more follicles for a total of 12 (sizes 4-9mm)!  The left ovary mysteriously lost one follicle for a total of 7 (sizes 5-10mm).  Grand total: 19 follicles to start!  I can't complain.  It's not the rock star 23 follicles of July's IVF, but not bad.  Good job ovaries!  A solid B+ for you.

Again, I didn't see the doctor. She was somewhere in the building, but would look over my results sometime during the day to determine my dosage of Menopur.  Why would she actually need to see me?!  July's IVF started me with 2 vials of Menopur (M2).  After that failure, the doc suggested, in hindsight, that I should have started out with M4 or M3.  Sheryl called me later in the day to confirm my dosage of Menopur as M4.  That's 4 vials per day for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  Yikes!  The doc isn't messing around this time.

The drive home was not much fun.  Freezing rain began about 50 miles from home.  My defroster is not the best so gradually, a nice layer of ice formed on the windshield and I couldn't see through it very well.  Then, my windshield wiper broke on the passenger side.  I made it home in one piece, but not before I biffed it in the garage, scraping up my elbow and ankle.  Sheesh. 

I knew doing this in January weather would suck.  I go back to the clinic on Monday and Wednesday.  Both days are calling for snow and/or freezing rain or sleet.  And what's even better is that Monday is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  A noble and great holiday for those that actually get the day off.  My job is not one of those.  However, the doc's office IS closed and so only the doc and Sheryl will be there to do the ultrasound for IVF patients like me.  The lab is closed so no blood draw.  Therefore, I have to go in at 7:30 a.m.  That means leaving my house at 5:30 a.m. And that is if the weather is good!

6 comments:

  1. I've been stalking your blog since yesterday for an update, thank you for supplying me:)
    SO glad to hear the results were positive and the medications are doing what they're supposed to...woo-hoo!!! Ugh, that weather is terrible...sounds like maybe you need to think seriously about getting a hotel room Sunday night in Omaha, you guys could make it a little one night vaca, just a thought:) Be safe and can't wait to hear the next report!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad things are working out well for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear that the appt went well. Though afterwards not so much with that car ride. Hoping for nice, clear, sunny weather for your travels next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job ovaries!!! But sorry you have to take 4 vials of menopur. On my first fresh cycle, I only had to do 1 a night. I thought the menopur was the worst! Besides the shere volume of liquid to inject, it kind of felt like it burned! But it's worth it. And your body is doing great! Keep doing whatever it is that you're doing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good report and hope you get more good news with the next u/s. Wish you safe travels next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way to go righty! Your counts are great...hope the weather is good for you this week. Be careful.

    ReplyDelete