Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Damned if you do and Damned if you don't...

A huge box of meds was delivered last week for the low, low price of $5,000...

Lupron compound (1 big vial)
5 boxes of Bravelle (25 vials)
5 boxes of Menopur (25 vials)
HCG: To trigger ovulation
Antibiotics: For retrieval
3 boxes of Projesterone in Oil: hopefully we get to use it to and through transfer - because they sent us a 30 day supply
Valium: to calm me for the transfer - again, I hope I get to use it...but on second thought I'll probably use it one way or another!

The sickening thing is that because I have insurance to "cover" infertility (to a limit), we get to pay an inflated price for these meds...$5,000.  Yup.  5K - And I don't mean the race.  The value of a good, used car or a honeymoon in Jamaica.  Yup, 5K.  If I didn't have insurance, I would have paid about $2,000 less.  What kind of scam is this, anyway?  You're damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

I went to the base ultrasound on Monday.  13 follicles on the right and 15 on the left.  A good start.  So then, the drug taking began.  One difference with this clinic is that rather than having me take one big shot every day, I take 2 little shots in the morning and 2 little shots at night.  So far this week, I have poked 14 holes in myself!  And we're only 4 days in.  My sharps container is almost full.

5 comments:

  1. Fingers crosssed!! The costs are so gross :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great number of follies :-) Are they going to allow a 3 day transfer? To be safe? Super excited!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh that makes me angry for you!!! Have been thinking of you a lot this past week, we need a phone check in!!! Give me a call when you have some free time.
    Sending good vibes your way...hoping baby Cain will be gestating very soon :)

    ReplyDelete