Thursday, July 15, 2010

Drug of the Day - Femara

I didn't realize that there were so many different drug protocols for infertility procedures. Up until this point, I have just taken my medicine like a good little girl, and hoped for the best. I haven't questioned what I was taking or really understood what these drugs might be doing to my body and to my hormones. So, in honor of my first (and hopefully only) IVF cycle, I thought I'd educate everyone and myself about the variety of drugs that I am taking for my particular IVF cycle.

Of course, I've already done birth control pills and anti-biotics. I won't go into those things as I'm pretty familiar with both. I was on birth control for 10 years - but who knew I didn't really need them?! DH and I both took anti-biotics back in May as part of the IVF regimen. However, we didn't have to do that over again when we got delayed to July.

Today, I took my 5th and final pill of Femara. This tiny, yellow, 2.5 mg pill is also known as letrozole. It has been widely used in women with breast cancer. Since breast cancer grows under the influence of estrogen, letrozole helps block tumor growth. One good thing about this is that since one of the main uses is NOT infertility, my insurance covers it for a co-pay. However, many pharmaceutical companies are trying to get FDA approval to market it specifically as a fertility medication. Until then, my five little pills of Femara cost a $25.00 co-pay instead of $40.00. Gotta save where you can, right?!

Now a little bit about the ol' letrozole: It belongs to a class of medications known as 'aromatase inhibitors'. Aromatose is an enzyme that is responsible for the production of estrogen in the body. Letrozole works by inhibiting aromatose thereby suppressing estrogen production. (Clomid works by blocking estrogen receptors). The result is that the pituitary gland produces more of the hormones needed to stimulate the ovaries. These hormones, FSH and LH, can cause the development of ovulation in women who are anovulatory or increase the number of eggs developing in the ovaries of women who already ovulate (me!). Some studies have suggested that Femara pregnancy rates far exceed those with Clomid!

Like any drug, there can be many side affects of taking medication. Luckily, I have not experienced any issues while taking Femara. The side affects can be similar to Clomid with hot flashes, headaches, or breast tenderness. There also can be allergic reactions, chest pain, or vaginal bleeding. The biggie with Femara is to not take this medication if you are pregnant. Before pregnancy = ok. While pregnant = bad. It can cause fetal death and birth defects.

Basically, Femara is tricking my brain into making less estrogen which tells my hormones to put my ovaries into egg-making overdrive. I have my next ultrasound and bloodwork tomorrow, 07/16. I should hopefully find out how many follicles I have cooking, and to see if the Femara pills have done their job.

3 comments:

  1. Yay for the next step, and I love the explanation since I am on a different protocol. Are you excited?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kakunaa. I am excited! But this waiting stuff is no fun - thus the medical lesson - it passes the time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you tomorrow & praying you've got lots of healthy looking follicles!!!

    ReplyDelete