On a Sunday, there is really a skeleton crew at the clinic. Our appointment was at 8:30. We got there at 8:15, but had to wait in the parking lot for one of the nurses to arrive to open the front door. DH got called back at about 8:30 or so, and he was done with his business and back in the waiting room before they even called me back for retrieval. His mission accomplished, he gets the whole waiting room to himself and starts to watch "Cat in the Hat" the movie on TBS (my idea). Then, they call me back and DH gets to watch the whole movie while he waits. He mentions that he doesn't care to ever watch it again!
I went into a drug-induced sleep at about 9:00 am and woke up about 45 minutes later to find that 12 follicles had been removed from my ovaries. (Can I just say that anasthesia is awesome?!) I was very relieved - I'm always nervous that I give myself too much hCG and I'll throw the whole timing off and ovulate too early or something. But they caught the little suckers before that happened! At first look, the doctor said 7 of the 12 seem of really good quality/maturity. I feel pretty good, physically. The nurse taught us to do the Progesterone shots, and we were back on the road by 10:45a.m. I'm tired and a little crampy, but otherwise, I'm very excited to find out how many of our combined reproductive products actually fertilize. Not looking forwart to progesterone shots.
The doctor said that the actual fertilization/ICSI process would begin in the lab this afternoon, and I should get a call Monday morning to find out how many they tried to fertilize. Apparently they will not try to fertilize the eggs that aren't good enough or mature enough and, of course, those follicles that don't even have eggs in them won't go through it, either. And then, of course, we'll find out how many of those actually did fertilize. Fingers crossed, there will be at least 2 good ones that make it all the way to Friday's 5-day transfer. And maybe even a couple more for freezing, would be nice. It's going to be a very LONG week!
Congrats on your retrieval! I can't wait to hear about you fert report :) that will be me next weekend. Take it easy the next couple days :)
ReplyDeleteOoh I'm so excited!!!! Keep us updated on everything you hear. YAY!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you guys & praying hard for those follicles to grow into strong healthy embryos!
ReplyDeleteCongrats! Very exciting. Keeping you guys in my thoughts :). Thanks for the update.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the retrieval numbers! Will be praying that they all fertilize and develop well, and for a successful transfer in a few days... hang in there 'til then!
ReplyDelete