Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Drug of the Day - Ganirelix

I will take 3 doses of Ganirelix during this IVF cycle. I took one yesterday at the clinic, I took one this morning (at work!), and I'll take another one tomorrow morning. So now I'm up to 2 injections per day! Ganirelix comes in a ready-to-use pre-filled syringe, which makes it easier to administer because mixing isn't required. However, I gave myself a big ol' bruise yesterday. Ouch! I must have hit something...I think it is because the needle is bigger than what I was used to. Also, one good thing is that I already had 2 doses left over from my cycle in August 2009. They were almost expired! But I got to use them and only had to pay for one more new one ($87). One pre-filled syringe contains 250 micrograms of ganirelix acetate. Now a little bit about the drug of the day:

Ganirelix Acetate is a gonadotropin-releasing hormone (GnRH) antagonist that is used to suppress premature luteinizing hormone (LH) surges. This prevents eggs from being released prematurely. Women who are using an injectable gonadotropin, (like Menopur), may also be prescribed Ganirelix because drugs like Menopur, stimulate the growth of multiple follicles, which can cause an early rise in LH. Ganirelix is effective in preventing LH surges and rapidly acts to prevent the LH surge after its initial injection.

Ganirelix is given on average up to five days mid-cycle (so far, I've only needed 3). This translates to several benefits:

•Shorter treatment days. (not really in my case)

•Lesser total medication is used. (not really in my case)

•Fewer injections are needed. (not really in my case)

Like the Menopur, OHSS is a possible side affect of using Ganirelix. This possibility is pretty slim, though. One more dose for me at tomorrow's ultrasound!

No comments:

Post a Comment