Wednesday, July 21, 2010

IVF Ultrasound #4 - Gaining Momentum

I had my 4th IVF ultrasound today. We're making progress and gaining momentum, but not as much or as fast as I had hoped. My largest follicles went from about 11mm to 14mm in 48 hours. They're growing, but not fast. During the ultrasound, Sheryl had a hard time finding or seeing all of the follicles. She thought there may have been some bowel obstructions to her view. I told her I wasn't surprised at that because I've felt constipated the last couple of days (I know this is TMI!). This usually happens to me mid-cycle, close to ovulation. No fun. But anyway, Sheryl was digging around pretty good to move things around to try to see things better. It was not comfortable, and she apologized for it. I was glad when it was over.

So, again, the doctor (a different one this time - the same doc that removed the polyp) took a look at my scans. Basically, it is a repeat of my last visit on Monday. I get two more days of Menopur at the 4 vile dosage each night and will go back on Friday morning for yet another ultrasound. I dropped some more money at the pharmacy - they should know me by name by now! The doctor also said I needed to take a shot of Ganirelix before leaving the clinic. They didn't want to wait for me to take it when I got home. This drug will prevent me from ovulating. I'll take another one of those at the same time tomorrow. We're trapping my follicles inside my ovary until they get big enough to retrieve. At this point, this might even be on Sunday.

The good news is that my uterine lining is, and I quote, "gorgeous"! Apparently, it is nice, thick, and juicy! My lining was 12mm, and the clinic aims for at least 8mm. I, at least, passed that milestone! My bloodwork showed an estrogen level of 754. It more than doubled from last time, so that is a good increase. I would guess I would be above the 1,000 mark by Friday. Sheryl also said that my progesterone and LH levels were down - which is what they want at this point. The lower levels indicate that I'm not yet ready to ovulate.

So, all in all, we're moving in the right direction. This IVF process is so frustrating though. I can't wait for the injections to stop and the driving and the ultrasounds to stop. This is a wait-and-see game and much longer and scarier than my IUIs were. I have no motivation to do anything else but think about my next dose of meds or my next ultrasound. This process consumes your life and every waking moment. I'm constantly thinking about how my body feels and how I'm responding. Is that a side affect? Do I feel bloated? Am I feeling the way I'm supposed to feel? Are they growing? Is that headache related to the meds, or do I just have a headache? Am I going to poop today so my scans are easier to read?! (I did make a #2 this afternoon! whew.) Ugh.

DH agrees that this is a frustrating process, and he can't wait for the IVF cycle to be done either. I can't imagine how frustrating it is for him, as he doesn't get to do anything at this point in the process. I feel bad. At least I feel like I'm accomplishing something with every injection, every drive to the clinic, and every ultrasound. He just waits for my call with the news of the latest ultrasound. However, he might go with me for Friday's appointment. He wants an excuse to be off of work, and it would be nice to not have to drive myself.

3 comments:

  1. OMG I am having the same thoughts....is this normal? Am I imagining things? And I just started stims, so I am dreading this next week...not even thinking about a BFP. I mean, I want one, but it's more about getting thru each day...hang in there sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely hear you on how frustrating & all consuming the IVF process is...I felt the same way! I could not wait to get to the point of retrieval & transfer...you'll get there, sounds like very soon! Thinking of you & cannot wait to hear how things go on Friday...praying things will happen soon. Keep me posted, I'll be off work Friday since friends are coming into town so let me know how things turn out. Love ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! So glad it's going well thus far. I know it seems like an interminable process, but it will all be over before you know it.

    Praying that things will continue to go well, and this will lead to your BFP!

    ReplyDelete