
Tonight I take my last dose of Menopur before tomorrow's 3rd ultrasound appointment. Menopur (a.k.a. menotropins) is a preparation of gonadotropins (extracted from the urine of postmenopausal women!) which has undergone additional steps for purification. Each vial contains equal parts of follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH). My body already makes these hormones naturally, but we are bringing in reinforcements with this drug. The additional FSH and LH will help the ovaries to make eggs.
I am taking Menopur through subcutaneous injection. For IVF, I mix up two viles of Menopur to one mL of saline (this is twice the dosage that I took with my IUIs). Then, I inject it into my belly. I've been going back and forth between each side of my belly button. I don't think it makes a difference, but in my mind, I want to be fair to both my left and right ovaries! I've also been trying to take it at the same time each day. Again, I don't know if that makes a difference either.
I haven't had any problems giving myself injections. A little over a year ago, we did our first IUI with injectibles. Then, I was scared about doing the injections. Needles -ick! My mom (who is a nurse) came to my house and helped me do the very first one. After that, I've been doing them myself. In an attempt to involve DH a little more with this process, he did one injection. Let's just say there was bleeding and bruising, so he was fired from that job! Now, 3 IUI cycles later, I feel I'm an old pro at this injecting thing. No biggie.
There are side affects of using Menopur, but I haven't had any (that I know of). The scariest side affect is OHSS (Ovarian Hyper Stimulation Syndrom). Like it sounds, the ovaries go into overload and this can be very dangerous, and even deadly. I'm not too worried about it, since I'm being monitored so closely, but it's definitely something to be aware of - especially if I start feeling sick.
I'll find out at my next appointment if my 23 follicles are still all accounted for. I'll find out which ones grew like gang-busters thanks to the Menopur and look like they are going to make the cut! I should also find out, if I need to continue with more Menopur, or if we are ready for retrieval.
I have my DH do mine the days I am at work -- he enjoys it WAYYYY too much. Though he did end up sticking himself last night while trying to put the cap back on the needle....no idea how. Keep us updated!!!
ReplyDeleteYou're so brave doing the injections yourself, that's something I never did get into! Looking forward to hearing how awesome those follicles are growing:)
ReplyDelete